Public Masses at Our Lady of Sorrows will resume on May 25th
with a Mass at the church at 9:00 am.
Please read the letter below before coming to the church
for important safety information.
At least until the end of June, the Mass schedule will be:
9:00 am - Mondays, Tuesdays, & Fridays
4:30 pm - Saturdays
10:00 am - Sundays
The dispensation from Sunday Mass obligation is still in effect,
so you can attend Mass any day of the week if you wish to do so.
Please continue to check this website for the latest updates.
You can download this letter here: LINK
Letter from Archbishop Dennis Schnurr
Guidelines for Resuming Public Worship
Stay up to date with Our Lady of Sorrows’ Parish during the COVID-19 pandemic by reading the latest Newsletter.
Unfortunately, Our Lady of Sorrows Church will no longer be open for private prayer for now.
Sunday Masses Can Be Viewed LIVE from Our Lady of Sorrows
Alternatively, you can also view Masses at St. Peter in Chains Cathedral at the times listed below at this link: LINK
Mondays - Fridays at 7:00 am & Saturdays at 11:30 am
Sundays at 11:00 am
Tune in to Catholic Programming anytime with EWTN on TV or Online at this: LINK.
Fr. Stephen Returning to Missouri
Dear Parish Members of Our Lady of Sorrows Church and Holy Name of Jesus,
Over the past few months we have experienced many changes. We have journeyed through the season of Lent, seeking to find God through the works of fasting, almsgiving and penance.
We are now experiencing the joy and peace of the Risen Jesus, who brings light into our world and our lives.
We have and are experiencing a new way of living brought about by the Covid-19 virus, which has changed our lifestyle. The separation of people from each other, the precautions we take to make sure we don’t spread the virus to others and the fear that we may catch this virus have brought such separation from each other that it is hard to imagine how or if things will ever return to our “old” normal.
The separation from Mass and the Eucharist have also changed our lives. No longer are we able to join together to experience the community of God’s people worshipping together as one. We are unable to share in the Eucharist, the food that feeds our soul and our body, the food that makes us Jesus to one another and calls us to spread the Good News of God’s love to others.
We see the change in seasons from Winter to Spring. The grass beginning to grow and turn green, flowers blooming and trees budding tell us that summer is coming and the earth once again shows its life.
With these changes comes a change in our parish life. Beginning in July, I will be leaving Our Lady of Sorrows and Holy Name of Jesus. My Abbot has decided that it is time for me to return to community life as a monk. I have been assigned to a parish in Maryville, Missouri, St. Gregory Barbarigo, where I spent four months as a Deacon in 2007, so it will be a bit of a homecoming.
I have enjoyed ministering to and being among our two parish communities. Experiencing the joy of Baptizing a baby; celebrating the Mass and bringing Jesus in the Eucharist to you have been my privilege. There are also the times of sorrow and sadness as we return to God a family member or friend who has died. Yet, there is the privilege of being with and supporting the family and friends as they walked the journey with their loved one and being allowed to participate in that journey.
Thank you for your kindness, support, and friendship over these eight years.
I will keep you in my prayers and I ask you to pray for me.
- Fr. Stephen Lattner, O.S.B.
Did you know you that you can make your contributions to Our Lady of Sorrows electronically? Once a month, on the 5th of every month, funds can be transferred from your bank account electronically.
Simply download the form and mail it to the Parish office. You will need to enclose a cancelled check for verification of routing numbers.
IMPORTANT: When submitting routing numbers on the form, be sure that you copy them from a CHECK and NOT a Deposit Slip. They are different numbers.
You can also mail in your contribution envelopes and other donations that you would normally be putting in the collection basket. Make all checks payable to Our Lady of Sorrows and mail to:
Our Lady of Sorrows
330 Lebanon Street
Monroe, OH 45050
Finally, you can also have checks sent automatically from your bank to the parish on a regular basis. Contact your bank for details.
Our Lady of Sorrows Parish is a Roman Catholic community of Faith, centered in the Eucharist and the Word of God. Our mission, with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, is to proclaim and live Christ`s message of love and service, within our parish and in the larger, world community.
Welcome to Our Lady of Sorrows Parish!
All Events and Meetings at the
Parish Have Been Cancelled
Until Further Notice.
Members at Large
Sr. Anne Schulz
- Rev. Paul Gebhardt, Pastor
- Rev. Stephen Lattner, O.S.B., Associate Pastor
- Jack Schaefer, Deacon
- Chris Baumgardner, Director of Religious Education
- Ava Bertsch, Business Manager
- Bob Drusky, Office and Technology Manager
- Nora Neu, Pastoral Associate
- Joe Scarpa, Maintenance Worker
- Joe Whatley, Director of Music Ministry
Daily Bible Verse
Readings for the week of May 24, 2020
- Sunday: Ascension: Acts 1:1-11 / Ps 47:2-3, 6-7, 8-9  / Eph 1:17-23 / Mt 28:16-20
- 7th Sunday of Easter: Acts 1:12-14 / Ps 27:1, 4, 7-8  / 1 Pt 4:13-16 / Jn 17:1-11a
- Monday: Acts 19:1-8 / Ps 68:2-3ab, 4-5acd, 6-7ab [33a] / Jn 16:29-33
- Tuesday: Acts 20:17-27 / Ps 68:10-11, 20-21 [33a] / Jn 17:1-11a
- Wednesday: Acts 20:28-38 / Ps 68:29-30, 33-35a, 35bc-36ab [33a] / Jn 17:11b-19
- Thursday: Acts 22:30; 23:6-11 / Ps 16:1-2a and 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11  / Jn 17:20-26
- Friday: Acts 25:13b-21 / Ps 103:1-2, 11-12, 19-20ab [19a] / Jn 21:15-19
- Saturday: Morning: Acts 28:16-20, 30-31 / Ps 11:4, 5 and 7 [cf. 7b] / Jn 21:20-25
- Next Sunday: Vigil: Gn 11:1-9 or Ex 19:3-8a, 16-20b or Ez 37:1-14 or Jl 3:1-5 / Ps 104:1-2, 24, 35, 27-28, 29, 30 [cf. 30] / Rom 8:22-27 / Jn 7:37-39. Extended Vigil: Gn 11:1-9 / Ps 33:10-11, 12-13, 14-15 / Ex 19:3-8a, 16-20b / Dn 3:52, 53, 55, 56 [52b] or Ps 19:8, 9, 10, 11 / Ez 37:1-14 / Ps 107:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9  / Jl 3:1-5 / Ps 104:1-2, 24, 35, 27-28, 29, 30 [cf. 30] / Rom 8:22-27 / Jn 7:37-39. Day: Acts 2:1-11 / Ps 104:1, 24, 29-30, 31, 34 [cf. 30] / 1 Cor 12:3b-7, 12-13 / Jn 20:19-23
Click on the Links below for more information about:
The Seven Sorrows (seven dolors) of Mary
The Prophecy of Simeon – Luke 2:22-35
The Holy Family’s Flight into Egypt – Matthew 2:7-23
The Loss of Jesus in Jerusalem – Luke 2:41-50
The Meeting along the Way to Calvary – Luke 23:26-32
The Crucifixion and Death of Jesus – John 19:25-42
The Taking of the Body of Jesus from the Cross – Mark 15:42-46
The Burial of Jesus in the Tomb – Matthew 27:59-61